Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Do You Know the Muffin Man?
The Muffin Man?
The Muffin Man.
Do You Know The Muffin Man,
Who Lives on Drury Lane?
Yes, actually, I do.
He invaded my apartment, raided my cabinets, and demanded that I make muffins. Lots of muffins.
It all started at the MET Supermarket in Greenpoint. Strawberries are on sale for $1.99. To me, this can only mean one thing, Spring! So, I snatched up my berries and high-tailed it to the check-out.
Upon returning to my apartment, there he sat, the little imp.
Yes, The Muffin Man.
And, I knew what to do.
1. Wash my Spring Cheap-O berries!
2. Dice berries and the use a Microplane to get the zest of one lemon.
3. Mix fruit into my versatile muffin batter-base, portion, and bake.
5. Thank The Muffin Man for making a long trip from Drury Lane, creepy as he may be.
The Bitch's Strawberry-Lemon Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup diced Strawberries
Zest of One Lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl, beat egg. Stir in milk, oil, and lemon zest.
4. Pour wet ingredients into the well of the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat.
5. Fold in strawberries gently, until just incorporated.
6. Portion batter evenly into 12 muffin cups or a muffin tin.
7. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.