Friday, November 9, 2007

'Tis the Season To Be Chili, Fa La La La La, La La La La


As a small child there were only a few things that could get me out of bed before 9AM. Those were:

#1
Santa Clause (or, the morning of his departure from our house).
#2 My cat(s) annoying the shit out of me.
#3 The Aroma of Mom's Chili

Nothing says Fall & Winter like a steaming bowl of Ma's chili. She'd get that stuff going at 8AM. And by 9AM my father and I were standing at the oven inhaling the sweet, sweet perfume of simmering ground beef, chili powder, onions, and peppers bubbling in a sea of beans.

Bliss.
Chili was a meal in and of itself. Mom threw a nice big bowl down on the dinner table, threw a few slices of bread on top, and that was that.

Dinner was served.

And it was damn good.

So, I, that's right, me, cooked up Ma's recipe and made some fresh Crusty French Bread, and threw it down in front of addROC and a few friends.

That was dinner. And, if I do say so myself, it was damn good.

2 comments:

Marc said...

Look at you go, girl! That looks gooood! Now I am hungry for chili. But it's too warm in San Diego to eat it!

pinknest said...

mmmmm, chili. i must have onions, cheese and sour cream!